Safety should always be the top priority in severe weather or an emergency. Here is some helpful information to help protect you, your family and your possessions:
Before an Emergency
- Develop an emergency plan and share it with your family. Be sure everyone knows what to expect and what to do. Have a plan in case power is out for a longer period.
- Make a list of local emergency contact numbers (fire, police, ambulance, etc.). Include Waterloo North Hydro 1-519-886-5090.
- Prepare an emergency kit and store it in an easy-to find location. Check it regularly to make sure it is well stocked and that all equipment is in good working order.
- Use surge protectors to protect sensitive electrical equipment such as computers, DVD players, and televisions.
- Include a battery-operated flashlight in your emergency kit to avoid using candles, as they can be fire hazards.
What should be in an emergency kit?
Prepare for the first 72 hours. Stock your emergency kit with these essentials:
- Flashlights and batteries
- Battery operated radio and clock
- Cell phone
- Candles and waterproof matches or a lighter
- Blankets, coats, hats and gloves
- Plastic garbage bags
- First aid kit
- Non-perishable food such as canned and dried goods
- Bottled water
- Manual can opener
- Prescription drugs, contact lens solution
- Extra cash
- Spare car keys
- Sleeping bags
- Toilet paper, other personal toiletries
- A loud whistle in case you need to attract attention
During and After Emergency
- Never touch downed wires or low hanging wires. Telephone or cable television wires that touch a power line can be deadly. Stay at least 10 meters away from downed power lines and in an emergency call 911.
- Never try to make your own electrical repairs to Waterloo North Hydro equipment. Let our dedicated and highly trained crews do the work.
- Never pull tree limbs off power lines.
- Never walk into areas where crews are at work. If you are driving near work crews, obey road signs and proceed cautiously.
- Never use water on electrical equipment or wires. Use a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- Never issue a portable generator indoors, including inside a garage or other enclosed or partially closed area as it could cause Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
What do I do if someone is hurt?
- If someone receives a shock from a faulty appliance and is still in contact with it, do not touch the person or appliance before unplugging it from the electrical outlet
- If a person or a vehicle is in contact with power lines, do not touch either the person or the vehicle. Call 911.
- If a person must exit a vehicle that is in contact with power lines, advise the person to jump free of the vehicle and shuffle feet until 30 feet (10m) away
- If a person is free from the power line or appliance, call 911 and allow a qualified individual to begin first aid.
- If a person is unconscious, call 911 immediately and give assistance as required.
- If a person has a burn, avoid handling the affected area. Do not apply lotions, break blisters or remove burned clothing. If possible, cover the burns with a sterile dressing. Do not use gauze, cotton, wool, or any other material that is likely to stick.
Visit our Power Outages Page to find more information about what to do when the power goes out.