Don't be a victim of phone fraud
- Waterloo North Hydro's customers (specially small business) are targets for phone scammers.
- These scammers tell you they're from your local utility and use sophisticated software to show the utility's name on your caller display.
- They threaten to disconnect you if you don't immediately pay by pre-paid credit card, gift card or wire transfer.
- They target you when you're most vulnerable, especially during holidays or peak business times.
Waterloo North Hydro Cares About Your Security
- We NEVER ask you to pay by pre-paid credit card, gift cards or wire transfers over the phone. Learn more about our payment options.
- We NEVER threaten to disconnect you right away.
- When in doubt, hang up the phone and call our customer support team at 519-886-5090. We're always available to answer your questions.
- Customers who receive a suspicious call should not provide any personal information, including bank or credit card account numbers or account balance, hang up immediately, and notify Waterloo North Hydro when possible.
- Report the incident to your utility and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501. This agency collects information on fraud and works closely with police to solve these crimes.
For information on how to protect yourself or your business against fraud, please visit the RCMP's Scams and Fraud website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca.