Energy and Water Reporting Benchmarking Regulation

EWRB Banner

Energy and Water Reporting Benchmarking Regulation of Ontario

Large building owners are required to report their energy, water and greenhouse gas emissions to the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines on an annual basis under the Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) regulation.

This regulation applies to privately-owned buildings that are 50,000 square feet or larger, including commercial buildings, multi-unit residential buildings (with more than 10 units), and some industrial buildings. If you own a building that is 100,000 square feet or larger, you may need to report your building's annual consumption to the Ministry of Energy by July 1.

The EWRB reporting requirements are being phased in over three years as shown in the following table:

Deadline for Reporting to Ministry of Energy, Northern Development, and Mines

Commercial and Industrial Building Gross Floor Area

October 1, 2020

(usage for 2019 calendar year)

100,000 square feet and larger

October 1, 2020

(usage for 2019 calendar year)

50,000 square feet and larger

To learn more about the regulation, including how to report your data, and the deadline to report, please consult Ontario Regulation 20/17 and visit

Waterloo North Hydro is required to make aggregated electricity consumption information available to building owners upon request, so that they can report their data to the Ministry of Energy annually by July 1. Please note, water consumption information will be provided by the City of Waterloo, the Township of Woolwich,  or the Region of Waterloo, depending on your property’s location.

Please submit your request(s) for information as soon as possible. Requests can take up to four weeks to process. Requests received after May 15 may not be fulfilled in time to meet the July 1 deadline.

How do I Start?

  1. Complete and submit an EWRB Request Form
    Completed forms can be emailed to, or mailed to:               
    Waterloo North Hydro Inc., 526 Country Squire Rd, Waterloo ON, N2J 4G8
  2. Review Process: 
    If we need more information, one of our representatives will contact you to obtain the information needed to complete your request.
  3. Data Submission
    Once we have received, reviewed and verified your information, we will process your request and send you the yearly aggregated electricity consumption data for your property as quickly as possible.

Before you begin

To fulfill your request, we will require:

  1. The service address for the property you are requesting data for.
  2. The EWRB Number provided to you by the Ministry of Energy for the property. If you do not have an EWRB number, you can get one from the Ministry of Energy by emailing or calling 1-844-274-0689.
  3. Square footage information for the property

Click here to access our EWRB Request Form.


If you require assistance at any time, our Customer Support staff are available to assist you. Please contact us at 519-886-5090 or by email at with any questions you may have.